Monday, September 15, 2008

Quilts and a Quote











These are all quilts that were made from either block or fabric trades back in the early '90s.
That was back in the dark ages before so much casual computer contact. Some how there became a very large network of quilters trading through the mail. Most quilt magazines had a column for requests but the many different trades that were invented circulated everywhere. I would get lists with lots of names for either blocks , charm squares, fabric shape cuts to make a block(less the background). The star quilt above was a fabric trade-four triangles and a square- and we supply our own background. There were about 30 or more of those trades circulating. What was so cool was I always received trades back from whoever I sent a request to, be it blocks or fabric. I think the greatest thing was the quality of the fabrics and the blocks. Always 100% cottons and the blocks were very well constructed in the correct size asked for. It was really amazing and fun to get what we called "fat envelopes." I met people from all over the world-almost every state, South Africa, Denmark, Japan, Canada, Iceland, Australia, New Zealand, England-to name a few. But over time, just like anything else it wound down and was no more. I think the computer age had something to do with it.
I'm having kind of a day so taking a few minutes out to remember the fun time I had maybe can give me a break from my stressful day.
Also an Inspirational Quote I received by e-mail. Maybe this will help.
"Love, laugh, sing , play.
If you want to heal your mind,
do these thing every day,
and there will be little left to heal."

No comments: