Thursday, August 2, 2007

MOM'S TABLECLOTHS AND LINENS















Today I feel the need to go back in time to when life was simpler and not so busy. I was reading someones blog a day or so ago but I can't remember whose it was. She was wishing for the time when thing went a little bit slower. I find myself wishing that more and more. There just seems to be so much pressure. A lot of different things are dependant on me in our business and lately it's been wearing on me. It's not a hard job, it's just hard keeping track of everything for ourselves. I can remember working at regular jobs- just put in your hours and go home. Being self-employed, work goes home with you and that gets tough, sometimes.

When I have a day off I try to cram so much into it. Of course there is always some house cleaning and straightening but I keep that at a minimum. Every night I do a few jobs so there are not as many left for my off day. Then I have more time for my quilting, crochet, reading, etc. I try to do a little of each or dedicate myself to one project that I really want to get finished. And just try to enjoy the day and the little things like hearing the birds singing outside, watching a squirrel play in the yard or seeing the wind blowing through the trees.Today I was off and planned ahead so didn't have much housework at all. I've been straightening my linen closet for a few days now. I didn't want to do it all in one day. It's a large closet about 3 feet deep and 6 feet wide and tall with lots of shelves and it's full. Lately I've just been shoving stuff wherever and not worrying about it, and it has gotten messy. So the other day I just started emptying the shelves and putting things on the double bed in an extra bedroom. I filled it with stacks of sheets and blankets, all kinds of towels, tablecloths and miscellaneous linens. And there were still more shelves to empty. I've been re stacking everything and and getting all the similar items together. It's all going to go back in and a lot neater. Today I did put quite a bit back and was emptying the last shelf when I found one thing I had been looking for and a bunch of thing I forgot were there. First was a beautiful hand crocheted tablecloth that a neighbor's mother had made for me about 30 years ago . I'm going to post photos of it on the crochet along. But what I was also very happy to find were my moms tablecloths and linens that I had put there a few years ago. She did a lot of embroidery as a young wife. When she moved here she decided to give them to me since she doesn't use them. She has a nice little condo but also is not a pack rat like her daughter. She keeps what she needs to use and that's all. I am the queen of pack rats. If it has a memory or is something belonging to some one I love I save it.

I haven't wanted to use any of the tablecloths for fear of damaging or staining them, but now i can. At Christmas i had a nice holiday cloth on my kitchen table and was worried about something happening to it. So I got a brite idea and went to Joann fabrics and got some clear vinyl by the yard. Enough to cover the table a protect the cloth. Today I took my plain cloth of and put one of my mom's on the table, then put on the vinyl. Now I will be able to use then all the time. Some I remember being on the table when I was a child. Others I remember stored in the china cabinet drawers. There are some that are just old timey prints from the 30s and 40s and some that were also hand embroidered by my mom. It will give me a special feeling when I look at them(all warm inside). I decided to photograph them all before putting them back on the shelf. so here are those photos. I've decided to keep an album of everything I post as a history That we can pull out and look at anytime. I will always want a paper trail. Don't like to think of everything just stored in a computer.

Anyhow, I have lots of great memories growing up. Not quite "Leave it to beaver" but close. Weren't those the good ole days. The little corner grocery, the five and dime, neighborhood bakeries-everything within walking distance. Times now are good but there's something special about those times. Things just did move more slowly and there was time to, as Mac Davis sings ,"Stop and smell the roses." I was able to be a stay at home mom for all 3 of my kids. I either worked part time evenings in retail stores or did day care when our two boys were young and before we had our business. After that I did the bookkeeping at home while my daughter was young . I worked off and on at the store as the kids could take care of themselves and now that they're not at home anymore I work full time again. I guess it sounds silly but I miss those simple times. Both when I was a care free kid running an errand to the grocery or going to get some penny candy for myself, and then when I grew up and was able to be with my little kids and take care of my home. I always had some time for my sewing , needlework, and crafts and reading. All 3 of the kids were good afternoon nappers so there was always time for me. We'd have lunch, crawl in bed and read a book or play a quick game, and fall asleep. Then I usually had a couple of hours for myself.

Enough of my whining. I think I'm very lucky to have such fond memories. Here are the pretty linens of my moms.






No comments: