Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Blue and Lilac Granny

Does anyone else have so many projects, both finished and unfinished, that you forget you have something. The granny above is one of those items for me. I think I didn't like it a whole lot while crocheting it thus the forgetfulness about it. I was looking for one of my quilts in my Steralite clear plastic container jungle in my basement. (Over the last few years I have been buying so many of the large ones and organizing all of my belongings in them, from my china and crystal to my kids special keepsakes, just everything. Then I realized how nice they would be for storing-but better for organizing- all of my quilting, crochet, and craft supplies along with finished quilts, etc. that I don't use all of the time. )I have stacked them about 4 high and put them in rows so I can see what's in them. Any how I was looking through my containers with quilts in them and found this at the bottom of one. I made it about 15 years ago when I was tired of making little granny squares with all those yarn ends to weave in. I thought one big rectangle granny square would be nice to try, and a lot less yarn ends. Then what really inspired me was the closeout baskets at Wal- Mart. Mind you this is 15 years ago. They had 4 oz skeins of a soft knitting worsted weight yarn for 25 cents each but of course limited colors. They had the dark blue, lilac, brite rose, light orange, light green and dark green. There were a few other colors but not enough to make an afghan with. Since there were lots of each if these colors I bought, I think,8 skeins of each of the 5 colors. 40-4oz skeins for only $10.00. I had a pile of yarn. I used the blue and lilac for this project and the other 3 colors were used in an Annie's attic mile a minute afghan. (It's not done yet- I'll have to find it and get it finished. That will be a post for another time) I think I ramble on too much, sometimes. Anyway back to the big granny. It was fun for a while but then just the two colors got really boring. I eventually finished it but it got to be a struggle. When it was done I put it away without even weaving in the ends. But it only cost me $4.00 for the 16 skeins of yarn. Now I think I might want to love it a little and want to cozy under it on some cold winter days that I'm really looking forward to. It's 104 degrees today. The thermometer has been hovering around 100 degrees for almost 2 weeks. I've had enough!

2 comments:

Mary said...

Hello Maizee - I'm thrilled that you found my blog and thanks for leaving such kind comments.
I've just been reading through your wonderful blog and enjoying viewing the absolutely gorgeous quilts - you are so talented. Altho' I've always sewed just about everything possible, I've never quilted.
I really enjoyed hearing about your Mother's linens and how you will use them more. We need to enjoy these items which bring back so many fond memories of those gentler times of our childhood - somehow they get us through the harshness of the present where beauty and gentility seem to have disappeared.
I have several pieces of my late Mother's - and I am using them. Favorite is a linen cloth with cutwork embroidery which is so lovely - I must post this soon so watch for it. She made this when she was in her 20's and I have it on a round table next to my bed. There are a few tiny holes now but unoticeable except to me! I always wash it carefully by hand. Mother was apprenticed to the Royal Dressmaker in London and actually made clothes for the late Queen Elizabeth the present Queen's Mother. I also enjoy crocheted pieces done by my close and very dear cousin in England (she has recently had a second heart attack and I'm so worried for her) before arthritis attacked her hands - she can no longer sew or crochet. Her husband is Dutch and was a merchant seaman (First Officer) and she would often travel with him and crochet while at sea. These pieces are so precious to me.
Well I could go on and on but my granddaughter has arrived and I must away to make breakfast. Then we're off to feed the ducks - well mostly Canada geese! at the local pond before the heat gets intolerable. So hot here too - 103 yesterday - and we desperately need some rain.
Oh - also loved reading about the kitties - how fortunate they are to have you caring for them.

Take care - visit me again - I'm heading home in Oct. so should have some posts and pics for all you Anglophiles after that trip!
I'll keep in touch.
Mary.

Carola said...

Send some of that heat to me, Maizee!!

AAnd I yhink your giant granny look pretty, although I thought it blue/light blue... :)