Monday, July 2, 2007

SOMETHING OLD, SOMETHING NEWER





Here ae my two granny afghans. The rose colored one was made by my Grandma Haley. I has actually led two lives. In the late 193o's my mom, Eileen knitted a two-piece sweater and skirt outfit. When she no longer wore it Gram took it apart and crocheted the granny. She added the gold center and black framing yarns. It was what covered all of us when we were sick or just needed to cozy. Luckily I'm the one who got custody of it. Yeaa!
The multi colored one I made. My neighbor was crocheting ripple and straight stitch afghans and when I saw them I really wanted to learn how to crochet. I asked gram to teach me but I wasn't very good. That's when she thought of grannys and taught me those. I made all the squares between about 1972 and 1976. It took me until the late 90's to get them togeather. I took a detour and became a quilter. I still did a little knitting and crocheting(mostly baby afghans to give away) but I really got into quilting as you will see as I start to chronicle everything I've been doing over the years.


No comments: