Friday, July 6, 2007

My first color cordinated quilt

This I would consider my first planned and color coordinated quilt. I made the scrap quilt that I showed earlier having no idea what I was doing.

This is called a sampler quilt, in fact it's a "Missouri Sampler". I took a class in 1978 and learned how to make all these blocks (all were designed and named for something to do with Missouri where I've lived all of my life). I started the class in March. I had just found out I was pregnant. So my qulting classes followed my pregnancy. We did one block a week then worked on putting it togeather. I did it all by hand. That was mainly how quilts were being done. My quilt top was done befor Jessica was born, but it still needed to be quilted, another major job. I had been taught how to hand quilt but I really hadn't done it enough to be good at it. I had a friend who did quilting jobs so I hired her and she did a beautiful job. So I finally got the quilt completely done. That's Jessica in the picture. She was about 18 months old. This quilt and Jessica are pieces of history that go togeather and always remind me of a very nice time in my life.

No comments: