Saturday, September 6, 2008

Miss Millie's is Closing


















How very sad I have been. Last week something came in the mail from Miss Millie's. I knew it was too early for my monthly Thimbleberries newsletter so I thought maybe it was a new class schedule or something else. It was something else alright. Pam was very sorry to announce the closing of the shop. I had wondered if this might ever happen but have been hoping it wouldn't. It has been, as far as I am concerned, one of the best quilt shops. Just a homey place to be with all the beautiful fabrics and great people in the shop. Of course there is Pam(the owner), Marilyn(her sister), their mom( who we call mom) and Aunt Betty. What a very nice family they are.

Over the past months Pam has been very ill. Choosing not to talk about the situation in depth, her illness was just being described as serious. I think we all knew in our hearts that it probably was cancer, and we do know now. She hasn't been able to work much at all since January. That was when Marilyn announced at the Thimbleberries meeting that Pam wouldn't be in the shop very much for a long while due to a serious illness. I think we all guessed then with that description that it wouldn't be good. Different people ran the shop when Pam wasn't there(Mom, Aunt Betty, Pat Brenda, and even Marilyn who has a full time job elsewhere) and Marilyn has been presiding over the monthly Thimbleberries meetings. It must have been too much for all and Pam is still fighting the cancer. We do now know as Marilyn said Pam would be starting kemo therapy soon. When we first learned of Pam's illness Marilyn said there was a good prognosis, it would just be a long road.

When the letter came in the mail a closing sale was announced also. The weekend before Labor Day was a special sale for Thimbleberries, all fabric and quilting items at 35% off. Of course I had to go and get some of my favorite fabric, Thimbleberries, so I could make some of the quilts, etc on my future to do list. No other shop in town stocks very much of it so I really wanted to add to my stash. It was very sad to be there. Mom was cutting fabric and she cried at first. There were a lot if Thimbleberries members shopping and we all just felt so sad for Pam and here family. We also felt sad that we were losing such a great place to gather and share our love of quilting. Pam has always made it so easy to enjoy here shop. No pressure, always helpful and a real friend to all of us. And then there is also Miss Millie ,the shops namesake. She is the most darling little dog, friendly and wanting to love everyone.

All the samples were being sold during the week after the announcement, when the sale was open to the public at 25% everything. I went back on Tuesday hoping to get one of the samples that Pam had made along with her mother, more for sentimental reasons than anything It was from Simple Seasons-an Easter Wall hanging- and it was lovely. With folk art bunnies and handmade yoyos all over as flowers. Wasn't able to get it because Mom decided to keep it which was fine with me. I did get the two above, though. The snowman one was from the same book which I had also fallen in love with, and I was lucky enough to get it. The other one is a thimbleberries sample which I had also been admiring for a while. So I have two very nice pieces that I really love and as mementos of some wonderful years at thimbleberries club.
Oh well, it seems like things must change either for good or bad reasons. This change is definitely not for the better. All of us who love Pam and her shop will be missing it for a long time.

1 comment:

Musical Julie said...

It's coming up on 2 years since the close of the shop and the passing of my dear friend Pam. My eyes are swelling and tears rolling as I write this. Guess you never let go of a dear friend. We had so many good times especially on the bus trips.

Pam not only had the legacy of preparing a quilt to auction for Girls Town every year but she left something far more valuable. Every year since her passing we've still made a quilt in memory of her to auction at Girls Town and that will continue.

Her real legacy is this. She wasn't your average retail shop owner. She was just herself and the store was our version of "Cheers". The gift Pam gave us was each other. She shared her family with us and she shared her knowledge of quilting but it was because of her and her starting the regular monthly sit 'n sews that a bunch of us got together to do our favorite past time. We've been fortunate in that we've all managed to stay together and get together for regular sit 'n sew sessions at someone's house. But we also helped each other through one of the roughest moments ever. I'll never forget the phone call I received the day she passed. It was so horrible. We all knew it was coming but I wasn't willing to give up hope.

Although Pam didn't want to talk much about herself, we all knew. In the end she also knew that we were with her through whatever journey. We had made several quilts as a group for various projects. So in 2008, after the announcing of an illness we made a quilt just for her. It was a very difficult moment the day it was presented to her but you know no words needed to be spoken, she knew what it meant loud and clear and that's what was important. She knew we were with her.

It was hard to accept the announcing of the store closing. This wasn't just about a store it was about a friend. The hardest part was walking in to the store during the closing sales, helping out and not being able to help the family with the pain that was most obviously on their faces. There were lots of hugs and tears shed but the family knew we were right there with them.

In September for her birthday we flooded her with all sorts of cards. Pam wrote a letter to all of us that was read at the last Thimbleberries meeting. Boy was it hard to listen to.

The following month our friend entered into another journey of her life and yes, she took the quilt with her. I was blessed to receive one of the signs in her shop that I very happily display in my quilt room. I think of her every day I go in that room.

There will never be another store like hers and that's really okay. It was one of a kind just like her. I feel blessed to have known such a lady. Her best legacy was that of friendship and that's the most precious gift anyone could ever receive.

I love you Pam and I miss you.

Your friend,

Julie 'musical' Patterson