Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Thimbleberries quilts 2006


Here are photos of my first Thimbleberries Quilt. I joined the club at my local quilt shop, Miss Millies,in 2006 and this was the club quilt. It was block of the month for the year. So each month we purchased a block kit with pattern and fabric.This particular quilt had center squares with a stamped design in black for each month of the year. They could be used as is , colored with crayola and heat set, hand embroidered (as I did) or any other idea we could think of . It was really a great project for a novice sewing machine piecer. I've mentioned before that I started out as a hand piecer(I seemed to have more time years ago) but I'm finding that I really can't produce at all, not even one quilt per year. To hand piece a large quilt like this would take forever. When I say hand piece, I mean completely. All the blocks, borders, setting strips, no machine work at all. Having done some other quilts by hand I've not been able to do many other things I'd like. Now because of machine piecing I can have a variety of projects going that can be finished on a quicker timetable. That leaves more time for my crochet and all my other sewing and craft projects. I don't miss the feeling of having something in my hands. Plenty crochet just for starters. If I ever get to retire, I'll be able to do some hand piecing again and do everything else, too.
This has already been quilted and just needs binding and it's done. I actually have three more quilts that I made during 2006. I'll post photos of them separately and tell their stories also.

1 comment:

Harriet Briscoe said...

I am down to the December 2006 Thimbleberries block, and I am looking for the gold fabric. I only need 1.5 square inches. My puppy thought it looked tasty. I try not to get in a hurry to finish my BOMs...LOL...by any chance do you have a scap or the gold?


if so, please reply to habriscoe@charter.net

Thanks so much
Harriet Briscoe
770.519.3599